Friday, August 19, 2011

Belgium, Pukkelpop 2011

I normally don't write about my RL here but for this I like to make an exception. I live in Belgium and during the summer there are a lot of live concerts organised. This summer the weather was... well not really concertlike. Yesterday was the start of a four day concert called Pukkelpop, everybody was excited cause the weatherman forecasted great weather.
It started sunny, the concertground was getting full with people who just love great music, nice scenery, sun, relaxing..
All these people were trying to find a spot to put down their little tent.. they did, they were happy, excited, ready for four days of great music.

I was at home watching tv before I would log into SL, just relaxing.. I tuned my tv on the news and what I got to see just filled me with terror.

The news I saw was at 7.oo pm, the reporter was talking about Pukkelpop... a storm came over the concertgrounds 2 hours ago, a concert tent collapsed, a lighting tower was dragged down by the wind, people running around in panic, people killed, people injured...

I was watching this in total horror cause my daughter was out there... She left on wednesday with a bunch of friends for Pukkelpop, she and her friends were so looking forward to it, sun, music, fun!!!
Last night I probably experienced the worst two hours of my life... I could not reach her, I could not reach her friends, I could not reach parents... the emergency number was constantly occupied.

After two hours of total panick and horror and worry I finally got a text from her telling me she was OK and on her way home.
When she came home I just ran out the door and hold her so closely, so tight and we both cried.

She is home safe, the concert is cancelled out of the respect for the victims... but some parents have now lost their children, or their children are fighting for their life or their children are injured.

Like the headlines say in the newspapers 'this is a black day in the history of live music concerts', it is.

I was lucky, my daughter is safe but I feel for the victims and their parents and friends.

So, this is what I wanted to tell, I just needed to write this down.
Sending my love and thoughts to the parents who have lost a child out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment